Monday, November 19, 2007

At least one blog entry questioned useit.com and usability. Let's consider How Users Read on the Web as a starting point. This article mentions Eyetracking Research, which also contains some significant ideas. Add these ideas to your audit. [Who is Jakob Nielsen anyway?]

We worked today on some dynamic menus. I have a start on a new Web site for me at Wofford. I'm abandoning myblog look for a simpler, more accessible design. I've adopted a two-column, liquid layout [Zip of files we started with]. I want to add a navigation menu similar to what I have now, but with pop-up sub-menus รก la son of suckerfish. For spring, I'll need the following menu.

  • Home
  • About me
  • COSC 235
    • Syllabus
    • Schedule
    • Blog
    • Resources
  • COSC 330
    • Syllabus
    • Schedule
    • Blog
    • Resources
  • COSC 351
    • Syllabus
    • Schedule
    • Blog
    • Resources

At some point, I might want to use an elastic layout. And have you checked out Zen Garden: The Beauty of CSS Design lately?

The resulting Web pages that we put together are [Zip of files] linked below. I'm happy with the menus, although I still want to style them to look better.

  • Horizontal menu
  • Vertical menu (Hey wait! This pop-up doesn't work in IE6! And the nested selections go off the edge of the window. That's not too good!!)
Think about it: Why did we end up linking the home page to two CSS files?
Have a safe, restful, and yet productive break!

No comments: